Acupuncture uses very fine, single use stainless steel needles inserted into specific acupuncture points on the body. Acupuncture developed by trial and error over 5000 years and energetic theories developed to explain acupuncture’s effectiveness. From a Chinese medicine perspective, acupuncture stimulates acupuncture points to move energy along energetic pathways called meridians to restore balance to the body. Once balance is reached illness resolves.
Western science has theories to explain acupuncture’s effectiveness. Acupuncture can effectively re-balance unhealthy neural networks which cause chronically tight muscles, poor nerve function to organs and chronic pain signals. Acupuncture stimulates hormones that can reduce pain, balance the menstrual cycle, increase libido, reduce stress and aid in feelings of wellbeing. Western science is still developing theories to explain acupuncture.
Due to using gentle acupuncture techniques combined with the finest Japanese needles, most people have no sensation or minimal sensation of the acupuncture needle insertion. After the needle is inserted into the acupuncture point a slightly dull or electric sensation may be experienced which is perfectly natural and often pleasant.
For first time acupuncture patients a special pain-free acupuncture technique is used in order for you to feel most comfortable. Most people are surprised to discover acupuncture as an amazingly relaxing experience, even enjoyed by children.
Yes. Acupuncture treatments provided by Dr Paul Carter are claimable by over 30 private health funds. Check with your health fund to make sure your level of cover also covers acupuncture treatments. If your private health insurance company is registered with HICAPS you’ll be able to claim your appointment immediately through our clinic HICAPS machine. Remember to bring your private health fund card to swipe through our HICAPS machine after your appointment.
To receive the most benefit from your acupuncture treatments, follow these guidelines:
- Eat smaller immediately before or after your acupuncture treatment
- Avoid over-exercise, sexual activity and alcohol within 6 hours before or after your treatment.
- Plan the day of your treatment so you can rest after your session.
Continue taking prescription medicines unless advised not to. Substance abuse (drugs and alcohol) especially in the week prior to receiving acupuncture will seriously interfere with the effectiveness of your sessions.
- Remember to keep good mental or written notes of what your response is to the session. This is important for your doctor to know so that the follow-up sessions can be designed to best help you.
This will depend on the individual. The longer a problem’s been there, the longer it may take to re-balance your health. For acute conditions, acupuncture can work quickly and take longer for chronic health problems. Most people can expect to see changes after 5-7 acupuncture visits. The best outcomes occur in combination with recommended dietary and lifestyles advise herbal medicine compliance and willingness to heal.
People have been using acupuncture for thousands of years because it works. Through finding techniques that work and documenting their findings, an elaborate system of natural medicine evolved to treat many ailments. The World Health Organisation (WHO) has looked through the evidence of research and states 28 diseases, conditions or symptoms for which acupuncture has proven to be effective treatment:
- Adverse reactions to radiotherapy and/or chemotherapy
- Allergic rhinitis (including hay fever)
- Biliary colic
- Depression (including depressive neurosis and depression following
- Dysentery, acute bacillary
- Dysmenorrhoea, primary
- Epigastralgia, acute (in peptic ulcer, acute and chronic gastritis)
- Facial pain (including craniomandibular disorders)
- Hypertension, essential
- Hypotension, primary
- Induction of labour
- Knee pain
- Low back pain
- Malposition of fetus, correction of
- Morning sickness
- Nausea and vomiting
- Neck pain
- Pain in dentistry (including dental pain and temporomandibular
- Periarthritis of shoulder
- Postoperative pain
- Renal colic
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Tennis elbow
The Word Health Organization also acknowledges acupuncture as effective treatment (more research is required to bring it up to the proven effective category) for another 64 diseases, conditions and symptoms.
- Abdominal pain (in acute gastroenteritis or due to gastrointestinal spasm)
- Acne vulgaris
- Alcohol dependence and detoxification
- Bell’s palsy
- Bronchial asthma
- Cancer pain
- Cardiac neurosis
- Cholecystitis, chronic, with acute exacerbation
- Competition stress syndrome
- Craniocerebral injury, closed
- Diabetes mellitus, non-insulin-dependent
- Epidemic haemorrhagic fever
- Epistaxis, simple (without generalized or local disease)
- Eye pain due to subconjunctival injection
- Female infertility
- Facial spasm
- Female urethral syndrome
- Fibromyalgia and fasciitis
- Gastrokinetic disturbance
- Gouty arthritis
- Hepatitis B virus carrier status
- Herpes zoster (human (alpha) herpesvirus 3)
- Labour pain
- Lactation, deficiency
- Male sexual dysfunction, non-organic
- Ménière disease
- Neuralgia, post-herpetic
- Opium, cocaine and heroin dependence
- Pain due to endoscopic examination
- Pain in thromboangiitis obliterans
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (Stein–Leventhal syndrome)
- Postextubation in children
- Postoperative convalescence
- Premenstrual syndrome
- Prostatitis, chronic
- Radicular and pseudoradicular pain syndrome
- Raynaud syndrome, primary
- Recurrent lower urinary-tract infection
- Reflex sympathetic dystrophy
- Retention of urine, traumatic
- Sialism, drug-induced
- Sjögren syndrome
- Sore throat (including tonsillitis)
- Spine pain, acute
- Stiff neck
- Temporomandibular joint dysfunction
- Tietze syndrome
- Tobacco dependence
- Tourette syndrome
- Ulcerative colitis, chronic
- Vascular dementia
- Whooping cough (pertussis)
Download the full World Health Organization (WHO) Acupuncture Report here: WHO Acupuncture
Yes. We can process your payment using eftpos and credit cards through our clinic’s HICAPS machine.